21st Century Oil and Gas & Public Health
Time to Start
Don't have an account? Create one to unlock the bookmarking feature and other tools to personalize your learning experience.
This training is designed for public health professionals interested in understanding the shale oil development process, and its impact on public health. This training was designed through a collaboration between the Rocky Mountain Public Health Training Center and RESOLVE.
With the recent boom in shale energy development in the United States, local public health officials and other stakeholders are often seeking information and guidance on the health issues that could accompany development in their communities. Learn about the process of shale oil development, research on health impacts, and the ways that you, a public health professional, can actively engage on the issue in your community.
The toolkit includes:
- Introductory video providing a brief overview of the development process and impacts on health
- Module 1 – information on the five stages of development and what the developers are doing at each stage.
- Module 2 - information on the impact of shale development on air quality; water quality and quantity; quality of life; safety; and disease – as well as what you can do.
The toolkit is designed so that you may move around and access the topics of greatest interest to you, or take the full training and receive a Certificate of Completion. The toolkit also contains links to the Community Health and Shale Development Guidebook and other valuable resources.
What You'll Learn
- Describe the five stages of shale development
- Explain the available research on health impacts of shale development
- Identify opportunities to protect public health in areas of shale development